Following an initiative tabled by the European Parliament, the European Commission (DG Agriculture and Rural Development) contracted a “Preparatory action on EU plant and animal genetic resources in agriculture”. The project was launched in July 2014 for a period of two years.
The objective of this preparatory action was to support the EU in recognising the potentials for added value in the field of the conservation and sustainable use of agricultural genetic resources. Specifically the project has:
1. Identifyied described and analysed activities undertaken in the EU on the conservation and sustainable use of agricultural and forest genetic resources, and
2. Identified missing links and actions to be addressed in future actions on the conservation and sustainable use of genetic resources in agriculture and forestry. This analysis may contribute to developing a strategy for the conservation of genetic diversity in the EU.
The study covers the EU 28 member states in the following domains:
• Plant genetic resources,
• Animal genetic resources
• Forest genetic resources
• Microbial & invertebrate genetic resources
• Website: http://www.geneticresources.eu
• Reports: https://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/external-studies/2016-preparatory-action-eu-plant-and-animal-genetic-resources_en
Partners:CGN (WUR-NL), PRI (WUR-NL), LEI (WUR-NL), CBS-KNAV and BLE-IBV(Germany)